25 August 2009

Down in the 2nd


did you see it, did you watch the Pacquiao vs Hatton fight, i did, albeit through tired eyes, but it was amazing, after the weeks and months of talking and training, and press events, it all came down to a solid left hook from Manny, and Hatton bit the dust. It's funny but before the fight Hatton did all the talking, but, suffice to say, he got served.

Which leads me nicely onto my next topic, standing by and proving that what you say is what you can do.

I know over my short life, i have said some things that i couldn't do, but people never questioned it, because it was said with confidence, and to some degree i reckon maybe thats why growing up i was never scared to do certain things, never scared stand up and say what was needed and not what was wanted, never scared to stand up for myself, but, and this is a big but, i was ascared of one thing, that pretty girl at school, you know how it is, but over time, that changed too (thankfully)

Now, i'm a young man, inspired and motivated to do this advertising thing, to become the best copywriter/art director i can be, to open my mouth when i feel i can stand by what comes out of it, and if someone asks me to prove myself, then i'm more than willing to stand on my own two feet and do so.

But like Pacquiao, i know when it's best to keep quiet and let my actions do the talking, and it's this fragile balance betweeen the two that i'm constantly working on, i don't know, maybe its good to be a bit of both, but one thing it's not good to be, is scared, do what you want, how you want, learn the rules, follow the rules, and only when you completely understand the rules, should you start breaking them.

I stole that last bit from Dave Trott, the mans genius, but, he is right, if Jordan, Schumacher, Maradona, Iverson and McEnroe didn't break the rules, would we even know they existed?

i've got a new things happeneing to me in my life right now, and these things are forcing me to stand up for what it is i believe in, which is alot, but i'll save that for another day, so for now, i'll leave you with this from Steve Bartkowski:

"if you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything"

No comments:

Post a Comment